Reading Room Main Library (LSA)
- Using the Reading Room
- Reading Terrace
- Book collection of the Reading Room (LSA and Triplex)
- Ordering items in advance and using books which are not for loan
- ca. 60,000 volumes of humanities and social sciences literature as reference collection
- reference books on science and medicine are held at the Reading Room of Neuenheim Branch Library
- periodicals in open shelves (location marks ZSA...B and ZSA...C)
- periodical issues of the current year
- ca. 1,000 study desks
- 14 group study rooms
- 18 Carrels
- closed carrel for using rare books
- workstations with internet access (catalogues, databases)
- 3 book scanners (black and white or in colour, without charge, flash drive)
- self-service copying and printing facilities (black and white or in colour; payment with CampusCard or coins)
- Wi-Fi access on your laptop and other devices with UniID or via Eduroam. Please turn to the enquiry desk for further information. Please note: Only students and staff of the University of Heidelberg have full internet access.
- 10 laptops available for borrowing
- 15 iPads available for borrowing
- general enquiries at the Reading Room's enquiry desk (for more specific and extensive research, turn to our Information Services staff for help.)
- using non-circulation literature from the University Library's collection or non-circulation literature sent by Interlibrary Loan
- returning items after lending services are clodes (Main library openig hours)
- access to Semesterapparate: reserve book collection for the ongoing semester
Using the Reading Room
The Reading Room is open to all visitors. In the Reading Room we offer about 1,000 study desks. Due to the high popularity among library users, study desks can unfortunately not be reserved. Jackets and bags must be locked in the lockers on the ground floor and basement before visiting the reading room. Water in transparent bottles may be taken into the Reading Room, all other veverages as well as food and snacks are not permitted.
Reservation of group study rooms
We offer 14 group study rooms (four rooms for two persons, five rooms for four persons, four rooms for six persons); reservations should be made online in advance.
The roof terrace in the Triplex Reading Room is a quiet reading terrace. Since the reading terrace is an outdoor study room, the same regulations apply in principle as in the reading room. Specifically, the rules for use of the reading terrace are as follows:
- The reading terrace is open until dark.
- There is a general ban on smoking.
- Chairs are not allowed on the reading terrace.
- Telephone calls and eating food are prohibited.
- Please be quiet and show consideration for the employees in the adjacent offices!
- If we discover any violations of the rules of use, we reserve the right to close the reading terrace.
Book collection of the Reading Room
Reading Room (Triplex), 2nd level
- Classical Studies / Altertumswissenschaft (location mark = LSA Alt)
- Ethnology / Ethnologie (= LSA Et)
- History / Geschichte (= LSA His)
- Oriental Studies / Orientalistik (= LSA Or)
- Education / Pädagogik / Erziehungswissenschaften (= LSA Päd)
- Political Science / Politische Wissenschaft (= LSA Pol)
- Psychology / Psychologie (= LSA Psy)
- Law / Rechtswissenschaft (= LSA Jur)
- Theology / Religious Studies / Religion, Theologie (= LSA Rel)
- Sociology / Soziologie (= LSA Soz)
- Economics and Business / Wirtschaftswissenschaft (= LSA Wi)
Reading Room (Triplex) 3rd level
- General / Allgemeines (= LSA Al)
- Language and Literature / Allgemeine und vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (= LSA Spr)
- English Studies / Anglistik, Amerikanistik (= Ang)
- Biographical Reference Section / Biographische Nachschlagewerke (= LSA Biog)
- Library and Information Sciences / Buch- und Bibliothekswesen (= LSA Bub)
- European Art History / Europäische Kunstgeschichte (= Kunst)
- Geography / Geographie und Länderkunde (= Geo)
- German Studies / Germanistik (= Ger)
- Manuscript Reference Collection / Handschriftenapparat (= HS) (partly in our Manuscript Reading Room LSH)
- Medicine / Medizin (= Med) (ready reference collection in the Main Library, see Branch Library Neuenheim)
- Musicology / Musikwissenschaft (= Mus)
- Science / Naturwissenschaften, Technik (= Nat) (ready reference collection in the Main Library, see Branch Library Neuenheimer Feld)
- Philosophy / Philosophie (= Phs)
- Romance studies / Romanistik (= Rom)
- Slavic studies / Slavistik (= Sla)
- Performing Arts / Theater-, Tanz- und Filmwissenschaft (= Thea)
- Dictionaries / Wörterbücher (= LSA Woert)
Reading Room (Triplex) 4th level
- General Reference and Library Catalogues / Allgemeinbibl. u. allgem. Bibliothekskataloge (= LSA Abi)
- Theses / Hochschul- und Schulschriften (= LSA Diss)
- National Bibliographies / Nationalbibliographien (= LSA Nabi)
- Regional Bibliographies / Regionalbibliographien (mit geographischem Schluessel - Staedte, Regionen, Laender, Kontinente, Grossraeume) (= LSA Reg)
- Journals, Newspapers, Conferences: Bibliographies / Zeitschriften, Zeitungen, Kongresse: Inhaltsbibliographien (= LSA Zin)
You can search the Reading Room's holdings using HEIDI. The location mark „LSA…“ can be found in the location box on the selected item’s page in HEIDI. This is where you might find additional copies which can be available for loan.
On the 3rd floor level Triplex of the Reading Room you can find the current issues of important periodicals of our serials holdings. These are arranged by subject (from "General / Allgemeines" to "Economics and Business / Wirtschaftswissenschaften"); within subjects they are arranged in ab alphbetical order. The current not bound issues are not for loan. Please note that not all journals are on display. You can find the location of a journal on its page on HEIDI in the "Auslagefach" box.
The same area holds our selection of the latest daily and weekly issues of both national and international newspapers.
You have access to the open shelf area of bound journals on the 2nd floor level Triplex (location marks ZSA ... B) and 4th floor level Triplex (location marks ZSA ... C). Volumes from publication year 1962 onwards can be found here. Library card holders can borrow bound volumes at the enquiry desk of the Reading Room. The latest 20 volumes of the library's most important German law journals are held in our law section on the 2nd floor.
Ordering items and using books which are not for loan
Books published before 1880 and other rare or fragile media are not for loan. Their use is restricted to the Reading Room. Orders can be placed online via HEIDI. If you do not hold a library card, please use our online request form. After an order has arrived, it is kept for 5 opening days before being returned to our closed stacks. Once used, it is available for you at the Reading Room for 4 weeks with the option of renewal. Items ordered via Interlibrary Loan which are restricted for use at the Reading Room are held there for the entire loan period. Please note that photocopying might not be allowed, especially in the case of old books. It is possible to order reproductions of parts. The Reading Room holds reference collection only. Loans are possible over night or bank holidays.