Registration and library account


A library card is required in order to check out items or to order items from the closed stacks. Please note that the original library card must be presented. We do not accept copies or scans.

Students of Heidelberg University

Students will receive a student ID-card, which also functions as the library card. After you have activated your UniID, you can sign up online with Heidelberg University Library.

Employees of Heidelberg University

Employees of Heidelberg University can use a form to apply for a Service Card. The Service Card also serves as a library user card. In case the Service Card is lost, a replacement card can also be ordered using this form. 

If you don't have a UniID, you can obtain a library user card by applying in person at the circulation desk (Ausleihe). In order to register please present either your work contract, or a letter from your institute, confirming that you are employed by the University as well as your identity card or passport. In addition, you must fill out the registration form.

Other users

A library card is required in order to check out items, to order items from the closed stacks and to use our electronic services such as databases, electronic journals e.g.. Library cards are issued upon presentation of a valid personal identity card or a passport with proof of residence as well as a completed application form from the loan services. Users from non-European Union countries may be required to present additional documents such as proof of residence or a third-party guarantor.
The application form is available online. However, please note that you must print it out and that you must register personally at the loan services desk.

A fee of € 15.00 is charged for a user card to users who are not affiliated with Heidelberg University. All persons in education, such as pupils or students of other universities as well as other groups of persons are exempt from a user card fee according to § 2,3 of the fee regulations. 

Persons under the age of 18 are required to present a copy of the personal identity card/passport of a parent or legal guardian as well as the signed declaration of liability on the registration form.

If you are staying less than 3 months in Germany, you can use the University Library holdings only in the reading rooms. A fee of € 15.00 is also charged for the reading room card.

School classes

For school class registration, we have compiled information on a separate page.

Change of address user account

Any change of address must be reported to the University Library. Please inform the lending services immediately, if your address has changed. 

Students of Heidelberg University update their address on heiCO.

Suspension of borrowing rights

Borrowing rights may be suspended if fines are accrued, more than 3 overdue notices have been sent or if an invalid address is given. Privileges can only be reinstated once the reasons for their suspension have been determined or the overdue materials have been returned. If you have any questions, please contact the lending service.

In case of the loss of your library card / student-ID the University Library needs to be informed immediately in order to lock the library account. Card holders are liable for damages caused by the misuse of their library card.

Library account

The library card number is used to set up an account in the online system. Borrowers may access the data in their accounts at any given time.