Open Access Publishing Fund
Heidelberg University supports researchers who are willing to publish articles in open access journals with a publishing fund to cover article processing charges. The fund is part of DFG’s Open Access Publishing Programme .
Prerequisites for funding
- You are a researcher at Heidelberg University (according to LHG §9 section 1) as well as the submitting or corresponding author of the article, who is responsible for the payment of the publication fee.
- The article is published in a purely open access journal, which means that all articles of the journal are freely available immediately after publication. However open access options in otherwise subscription-based journals (so-called hybrid or open choice journals) cannot be funded.
- The selected journal offers a suitable mechanism of quality assurance for its published articles accepted in the respective scientific community (i.e. typically peer review).
- The publication fee per article does not exceed 2,000 € including taxes. Partial funding (e.g. funding just of the net amount) if the fee is higher than 2,000 € is not possible.
- Not more than three articles per year can be funded per submitting/corresponding author.
- Every funded publication should contain a reference to the financial support provided by the fund. (Example: "We acknowledge the financial support of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft and Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg within the funding programme Open Access Publishing.")
- For the Medical Faculties Heidelberg and Mannheim: Your institute has to cover a financial contribution of 40% of the overall publication fee. Your department will be charged by the university library for this amount.
How to receive funding?
Please use our electronic application form
You can request funding as soon as you receive the publisher’s invoice (please do also note the different procedure for BioMed Central). Please pay attention to the following formal criteria:
Required information on submitted invoices
- Addressee of the invoice: submitting/corresponding author under his/her institutional address at Heidelberg University
- Invoicing party (i.e. the publisher)
- Explicit invoice item (i.e. the article)
- Journal title
- Invoice date
- Invoice or order number
- Invoices from foreign countries (other EU-countries and third party countries): net invoice stating the VAT number of Heidelberg University as well as the VAT number of the publisher. The universities’ VAT number is DE 811225433.
If your request meets the above mentioned formal prerequisites we will transfer the amount indicated in the invoice to the publisher to the extent that funding resources are available. Invoices will be processed in the order in which they were received until the fund is exhausted.
Due to the financial limitations of the fund we cannot guarantee costs will be covered by the fund. If necessary you can send an informal inquiry to the above mentioned e-mail-address to receive information about the available resources. This will allow you to estimate your chances on receiving funding.
Articles supported by the publishing fund will be catalogued in heiBIB, the main index of publications from Heidelberg University.
If the fund covers your publication fee, we also kindly request a short e-mail notification after your article has been published.
Heidelberg University has established an institutional membership with BioMed Central, one of the world’s leading open access publishers.
You benefit from this membership if you publish in journals of
If you are planning to publish in a journal of one of these publishers, please apply for funding before submitting your paper. We will provide a specific institutional code to you to be included with your submission. If your paper is accepted for publication the publishing fund will automatically pay the publication fee. Please keep in mind that the number of available institutional codes is limited.
Due to a membership with the open access publisher MDPI authors of Heidelberg University receive a discount of 10% on the article processing charge, if the membership is selected in MDPI’s submission system.
Furthermore, you can also make a regular application for further funding of the publication fee to the publishing fund after your article has been accepted.