Navigation überspringen
Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg

FAQs Publishing Fund

Articles in Journals at Heidelberg University 2013
Articles in Journals at Heidelberg University 2013, 'Closed Access', 'Open Access with fees', Open Access without fees'
Source: Web of Science, PubMed, BIOSIS Previews, SciFinder,
Sociological Abstracts, International Bibliography of the Social
Sciences, GEOBASE, GeoRef, MathSciNet, Psyndex EconLit,

General Information on the fund

Where does the money for the fund come from?
The fund is part of DFG’s Open Access Publishing Programme DFG. The DFG covers 60% of the sponsored publication fees. The remaining resources have to be provided by the university. The University Library responsible for managing this new service.

On the prerequisites for funding

Who is the submitting/corresponding author of an article?
The submitting/corresponding author is the person responsible for the payment of the publication fee, i.e. the addressee of the publishers invoice. Typically this will be the first author of the paper. With regard to the BioMed Central membership it is decisive which information we receive from the publisher concerning the submitting/corresponding author.
How do you check whether a journal provides a sufficient review system?
Our first reference for a credible journal is the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), which lists only journals which provide a sufficient review system. If a journal is not listed in this directory we will consult information from the journal website as well as relevant bibliometric indicators such as Impact Factor, SNIP or SJR.
I want to publish in a traditional license-based journal, which allows single articles to be made available in open access for a fee (“Open Choice”). Can this be financed by the fund?
No, open access options in otherwise subscription-based journals (so-called hybrid or open choice journals) cannot be funded. This applies to offers like Springer Open Choice, Hogrefe OpenMind, ACS AuthorChoice, Wiley OnlineOpen etc.
Will there be an assessment of the papers quality by the university or the university library as a precondition for funding?
No, we only verify that papers meet the formal eligibility criteria. The scientific quality of the funded papers is ensured via the journal’s review system..
Is partial funding for articles with publication fees exceeding 2000 € possible, if I contribute the rest of the fee myself?
No, this is not possible. The limit of 2000 € including taxes is a formal criterion for the DFG funding, which is intended to prohibit excessive price increases of article processing charges.
I work in a third party funded project at Heidelberg University. Am I entitled to use the fund?
Of course you are, although you should consider whether your project funding could also cover the publication costs.
I do not want to publish a paper, but I do want to publish an open access monograph. Can the publication fund cover the costs?
Unfortunately this not possible because the DFG funding program is explicitly focused on journal articles. Nevertheless, do not hesitate to contact us; we will provide advice on relevant publication possibilities.
How do you check whether applicants actually belong to Heidelberg University?
Your affiliation with the university will be verified by the metadirectory, i.e. the university’s staff directory. In case you are not listed in the metadirectory we will ask for a copy of your employment contract or a valid certificate of matriculation.

On how to receive funding

Are there criteria which submitted invoices must meet.
Yes, there are such criteria. These formal criteria for submitted invoices can be found at the fund’s start page.
At my institute there is no funding available for publication fees, therefore I can only publish open access if the publishing fund will cover the costs. Can I get a guarantee for the absorption of costs by the fund?
Due to the financial limitation of the fund there is no guarantee for coverage of costs. Reserving financial resources is also not possible.
Can I inquire which share of the fund is already exhausted?
You can send an informal inquiry to Brief pLÖ to receive information about the available resources. This will allow you to estimate your chances on receiving funding.
Should I send my invoice and the additional information requested via e-mail or via mail?
We do prefer the use of our electronic application form but mail is also possible: Universitätsbibliothek Heidelberg, Abteilung MB 3, Postfach: 10 57 49, D-69047 Heidelberg.
How long will the financial resources of the fund last?
It is impossible to make any reliable predictions on the availability of funding resources. We will indicate on the fund’s website whether the financial resources have been exhausted.
My department already paid the invoice for an open access article. Can we be reimbursed by the fund?
This is possible as long as your article as well as the publisher’s invoice meet all relevant criteria. In this case your department has to invoice us and include receipts of the original invoice. Please keep in mind, however, that the fund may be depleted or you may not meet all criteria and that you or your department will have to bear the costs.
I received my invoice for an open access fee already last year but have not paid yet. Is it possible to make use of the fund?
The date of your invoice is relevant for approval. We can only account for invoices from the current calendar year.

General questions concerning open access

What does open access mean?
The term “open access” refers to the free access to scientific publications on the internet, including their unlimited reusability. You can find more information on our general webpage.
What is the university’s position on open access?
In February 2013 the university decided on a general open access policy which explicitly endorses this publication model.
How many authors from Heidelberg University already publish open access?
Open Access publishing is becoming more and more important. In 2013 alone, 666 articles have been published in peer reviewed open access journals. With respect to the total publication output of 5,700 articles in this year this amounts to roughly 12%.
What is the role of the university library in this context?
Heidelberg University Library coordinates the university’s open access activities and engages in appropriate promotion as described in the university’s open access policy.
The university’s designated open access representative is Dr. Maria Effinger (Heidelberg University Library).
Which services does the university library offer for open access authors?
The university library offers a variety of services for researchers at Heidelberg University:


Contact person for the publishing fund:

Dr. Jochen Apel
Universitätsbibliothek Heidelberg
Postfach 105749
69117 Heidelberg
Tel: +49 (0)6221-54-4249
E-Mail Brief

Contact person for general inquiries on open access

Dr. Maria Effinger
Universitätsbibliothek Heidelberg – Open Access representative of the university
Postfach 105749
69117 Heidelberg
Tel: +49 (0)6221 54-3561
E-Mail Brief

zum Seitenanfang