Usage hints A-Z: S
Alphabet of keywords:
- The Heidelberger Sachsenspiegel Cod. Pal. Germ. 164 came into being in the early 14th century in eastern middle Germany. It is the oldest of four still existing illuminated manuscripts of this particular legal text. On each page a broad column depicts laws and legal practices mentioned in the text next to it, covering aspects of state and feudal law. The parchment manuscript exists only as a fragment of about 30 from the original 90 sheets. The manuscript, once owned by Ulrich Fugger (from Augsburg), became part of the Bibliotheca Palatina after his death in 1548.
- of files on public computers see printing and exporting.
- Scanner-Pool see Multimedia Centre (MMZ)
- Scanners in the reading room
- In the reading room of the main library and the Neuenheim Branch Library, four Zeutschel book scanner are available. Normal and large size scans in black and white or colour can be saved to USB flash drive or a memory card. This service is free of charge.
- Scholar’s libraries (only in German)
- This small exhibition of old writing techniques and writing materials is on display during the opening hours of the main library upstairs in front of the Administration
- Secure Login see SSL
- Self-service shelves
- Books requested from the branch libraries, from the closed stacks or through interlibrary loan are placed on the self-service shelves situated on the 1st floor of the open stacks right above the lending service. During the opening hours of the lending service the books can be collected and then taken to the issue desk.
- Service Card
- Employees of Heidelberg University are issued a Service Card if they are assigned a UniID.
Functionalities of the Service Card:
New university staff can apply for a Service Card in the lending departments of the main library in the old town and the branch library in Neuenheim.
- replacement of the old library card and key for the electronic lockers on the ground floor of the Library (after activation!)
- authorisation for use of central print, scan and copy stations in institutions of Heidelberg University
Employees who joined Heidelberg University before August 1st 2016 are issued the new Service Card in an initial mail-out.
To transfer your library account to your new Service Card please use the following webform: /Englisch/service/servicecard.html
- Shelfmark (only in German)
- Through history there have been several systems by which the shelfmarks were assigned to the items
- Short Portrait of the University Library
- Slide Scanner see Multimedia Centre (MMZ)
- Smartboards / smartscreens
- Two group study rooms in the main library and one group study room in the Neuenheim Branch Library are equipped with interactive whiteboards, so-called smartboards. They support interactive learning as well as the preparation of presentations and documents as a team.
To reserve a group study room with a smartboard in the main library please use the online reservation system (only in German) or contact the staff in the Information Centre. For the Neuenheim branch smartboard use the online reservation system (only in German) or contact the local information desk on the ground floor.
- Social Bookmark
- These bookmarks are saved online and can be managed from everywhere and seen by anyone. They can be collaboratively indexed, tagged and commented on. Usually there is also an option to subscribe to feeds by owner, topic or tag, etc.
More information on social bookmarks and providers
- South Asia (resources by subject, DFG Specialised Information Service)
- Special Collections
- The department „Special Collections“ is responsible for manuscripts, deeds, records, estates and incunabula, rare books, the Graphic Collection and further special collections.
- Special subject collections see Specialised information services
- Specialised information services (FID)
- The University Library, supported by the German Reserach Foundation (DFG), and in corporation with other partners provides the following specialised information services:
"arthistoricum.net – specialised information service for art, photography, design“ (focus on early and modern art history until 1945 and general history of the fine arts), „Propylaeum – specialised information service for classical and ancient studies“ (focus on classical archaeology and Egyptology), „CrossAsia – specialized information service (focus on South Asia).
- We provide an encrypted login to our catalogue and request system HEIDI. The whole session including entering the password is transmitted encrypted. Our encryption uses the SSL-standard (secure sockets sayer = former name of Transport Layer Security).
- Student ID
- Heidelberg University issues a multifunctional student ID. Further information on the various functions is given by the University Administration.
- Study / examination rules and regulations for Heidelberg University
- Subito for specialised information service literature
- Document delivery service for Heidelberg's collection focuses on Classical Archaeology, Egyptology, South Asia and Art ("early modern and modern art history until 1945 and general Fine Arts studies").
- Subject catalogues
- Subject librarians
- are responsible for the selection and indexing of academic literature. They are available if you have any subject related questions or suggestions. For contact details see here.
- Suggestions and comments
- are welcome at any time. Forms can be found in all readers’ services departments.