Navigation überspringen
Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg

Jugend – Münchner illustrierte Wochenschrift für Kunst und Leben – digitized

Jugend – Münchner illustrierte Wochenschrift für Kunst und Leben – digitized

(http://jugend-muenchen.uni-hd.de/)

Cover Jugend: Scene of theatre performanceThe magazine Jugend was founded and edited by Georg Hirth (1841-1916), and was published in Munich between 1896 and 1940.

It lent its name to an entire artistic and literary movement, the “Jugendstil”, and is therefore one of the most important German sources for art and literature at the turn of the century. As well as modern illustrations and ornaments, a major role was played by satirical and critical texts. The Jugend was published weekly and unlike other journals of the time, it did not have a narrow subject range.

Over 250 artists participated in the first seven volumes. All of them were at the time largely unknown and all of them had some connection to Munich. For many, including Max Slevogt and Ernst Barlach, the Jugend was one of the first opportunities to present their work. Arnold Böcklin and Franz von Stuck had a major influence on the artistic presentation of the earlier volumes. Karl Ettlinger (1828-1932) worked for 20 years for the Jugend and wrote over 1,700 pieces for the journal between 1902 and 1940, using the pseudonym “Karlchen”.

After the First World War the journal was not able to connect with new artistic movements, even though it had in some respects developed to meet the demands of the time. This did not change until 1927, when under the direction of Franz Schoenberner the journal once more opened itself up to a younger generation and published texts from Kurt Tucholsky and Erich Kästner and drawings from George Grosz.

The end for the Jugend came shortly after aligning itself with the artistic policies of the National Socialists.

Because the Jugend was published in Gothic type, full-text searches using OCR are not currently possible in a satisfactory manner. Tables of contents were published regularly between 1896 and 1932; in 1896 and from 1921 to 1924 annually, otherwise semi-annually. From 1934 onwards no more tables of contents were published. By means of a cooperation agreement with Herzogin Anna Amalia Library Weimar – which created machine-readable versions of the tables of contents – we can offer a search function for the table of contents (not implemented for all volumes).


Selected reading and further information

zum Seitenanfang