DWork – Heidelberg Digitization Workflow
The University Library of Heidelberg uses its in-house development DWork – Heidelberg Digitization Workflow to support the process flow of digitization and the web presentation of the digitized works.
The software as a web application thereby supports all single steps of the workflow from the creation of metadata, scan processing (inclusively image converting and automatic text recognition) creation of the web presentation to the storage of scans and metadata.
Workflow, modules and technical requirements
The singleworkflow steps (General - Bibliography - Sequence - Structure - Converting + OCR – Export - Storage) are selected by a file card system. The progress within the workflow is visualised by a traffic light system so that an overview is available at any time.
The technical basis of the software consists of three modules:
- Digitization workflow
- component for editions (in development)
- annotation tools
- authority file server (at planning stage)
Software is programmed in PERL. Further software requirements are:
- Webserver: Apache 2.x
- Database: MySQL 5.x
- Metadata and full-text search: SOLR
- Repository for annotations: Fedora 4.x
- IIIF-Image-Server: Loris IIIF Image Server
We use SemToNotes to build our facsimile viewer.
We use Abbyy Finereader for Linux for OCR converting.
For manual correction of the OCR texts we perform first tests with the software PoCoTo.
- Workflow and applied technique in the Digitization Department of Heidelberg University Library (in German)
- Overview of digitized volumes: “Heidelberg historic literature - digitized”.
- Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek Darmstadt
- Universitätsbibliothek Freiburg
- Universitätsbibliothek Gießen
- Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, Rome
- Universitätsbibliothek Tübingen
- Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna
Dr. Thomas Wolf
Head of the Digitization Department
Dr. Maria Effinger
Head of the Departments "Special Collections" and "Publication Services"
Central project management
Head of Department IT