Navigation überspringen
Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
Universitätsbibliothek

Samacara darpana (Srirampur: Baptist Mission Press, c. 1818-1853)

This weekly newspaper was first published on 23 May 1818, only a month after the appearance of the first Bangla periodical Digdarsan from the same Serampore Baptist Mission Press and under the same editor. For a brief period between 1832 and 1834 Darpana circulated as a bi-weekly. Although the name of Marshman appeared as its editor, it was the Bengali pundits, like Tarinicaran Siromani, associated with the Serampore Mission who were responsible for its publication. The wide range of news items published in this newspaper includes notification of appointments and transfers of government officials, government orders on civil administration, the situation of trade and commerce in India, overseas news items and also letters on classical "oriental" knowledge. This news magazine continued for a long period. It was published from Serampore Mission up to 1840 and was revived by Bhagabaticaran Cattopadhyay in 1842, In 1851 the Mission took over the editorshop again and two years later the final number appeared.

Editor:

  • J. C. Marshman

Custodian of microfilm copies:

Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta, Kolkata, W.B., India

  • Vol. 19, no. 1121 [Pous 1243 (January, 1837)] – Vol. 19, no. 1171 [Pous 1244 (December, 1837)]
  • Vol. 20, no. 1173 [Pous 1244 (January, 1838)] – Vol. 20, no. 1186 [Chaitra 1244 (April, 1838)]

Custodian of paper copies:

Bangiya Sahitya Parishat, Kolkata, W.B., India

zum Seitenanfang