Reading Room Main Library (LSA)
- Using the Reading Room
- Book collection of the Reading Room (LSA and Triplex)
- Ordering items in advance and using books which are not for loan
- ca. 60,000 volumes of humanities and social sciences literature as reference collection
- reference books on science and medicine are held at the Reading Room of Neuenheim Branch Library
- periodicals in open shelves (location marks ZSA...B and ZSA...C)
- periodical issues of the current year
- ca 1.000 reading places
- 15 group study rooms
- 18 Carrels
- closed carrel for using rare books
- workstations with internet access (catalogues, databases)
- 3 book scanners (black and white or in colour, without charge, flash drive)
- self copying and printing (black and white or in colour with CampusCard or coins)
- areas for WLAN (Wi-Fi) laptop users with UniID or via Eduroam. Please turn to the enquiry desk to get further information. Please note: Only students and staff of the University of Heidelberg have full internet access.
- 10 laptops to loan for use in the Reading Room
- 15 iPads to loan
- general enquiries at the Reading Room's enquiry desk (for extensive bibliographical references contact the staff of the Enquiry and reference Service)
- using non-circulation literature from the University Library's collection or non-circulation literature sent by Interlibrary Loan
- request items from the University Library collection to the Reading Room without a library card
- when the lending services are closed, items may be returned in the Reading Room (opening hours)
- reserve book collection for the period of a semester
Using the Reading Room
The Reading Room is open to all visitors. In the Reading Room we offer ca. 1.000 reading places. Reservations are not possible. Jackets and bags must be locked in the lockers on the ground floor and basement before visiting the reading room. Except for water in transparent bottles, drinks or food must not be taken into the reading room.
Reservation of group study rooms
We offer 15 group study rooms (five rooms for two persons, five rooms for four persons, four rooms for six persons); reservations should be made online (in German) a couple of days ahead.
Book collection of the Reading Room
Reading Room (Triplex), 2nd level
- Classical Studies / Altertumswissenschaft (location mark = LSA Alt)
- Ethnology / Ethnologie (= LSA Et)
- History / Geschichte (= LSA His)
- Oriental Studies / Orientalistik (= LSA Or)
- Education / Pädagogik / Erziehungswissenschaften (= LSA Päd)
- Political Science / Politische Wissenschaft (= LSA Pol)
- Psychology / Psychologie (= LSA Psy)
- Law / Rechtswissenschaft (= LSA Jur)
- Theology / Religious Studies / Religion, Theologie (= LSA Rel)
- Sociology / Soziologie (= LSA Soz)
- Economics and Business / Wirtschaftswissenschaft (= LSA Wi)
Reading Room (Triplex) 3rd level
- General / Allgemeines (= LSA Al)
- Language and Literature / Allgemeine und vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (= LSA Spr)
- English Studies / Anglistik, Amerikanistik (= Ang)
- Biographical Reference Section / Biographische Nachschlagewerke (= LSA Biog)
- Library and Information Sciences / Buch- und Bibliothekswesen (= LSA Bub)
- Art History / Europäische Kunstgeschichte (= Kunst)
- Geography / Geographie und Länderkunde (= Geo)
- German Studies / Germanistik (= Ger)
- Manuscript Reference Collection / Handschriftenapparat (= HS) (partly in our Manuscript Reading Room LSH)
- Medicine / Medizin (= Med) (ready reference collection in the Main Library, see Branch Library Neuenheim)
- Musicology / Musikwissenschaft (= Mus)
- Science / Naturwissenschaften, Technik (= Nat) (ready reference collection in the Main Library, see Branch Library Neuenheimer Feld)
- Philosophy / Philosophie (= Phs)
- Romance studies / Romanistik (= Rom)
- Slavic studies / Slavistik (= Sla)
- Performing Arts / Theater-, Tanz- und Filmwissenschaft (= Thea)
- Dictionaries / Wörterbücher (= LSA Woert)
Reading Room (Triplex) 4th level
- General Reference and Library Catalogues / Allgemeinbibl. u. allgem. Bibliothekskataloge (= LSA Abi)
- Theses / Hochschul- und Schulschriften (= LSA Diss)
- National Bibliographies / Nationalbibliographien (= LSA Nabi)
- Regional Bibliographies / Regionalbibliographien (mit geographischem Schluessel - Staedte, Regionen, Laender, Kontinente, Grossraeume) (= LSA Reg)
- Journals, Newspapers, Conferences: Bibliographies / Zeitschriften, Zeitungen, Kongresse: Inhaltsbibliographien (= LSA Zin)
You can search the Reading Room's holdings using Heidi. Location mark "LSA …" indicates that an item can be consulted within the Reading Room Main Library. Heidi provides information if there exist other available copies of the book, too.
On the 3rd floor level Triplex of the Reading Room you can find the current issues of important periodicals of our serials holdings. These are arranged by subject (from "General / Allgemeines" to "Economics and Business / Wirtschaftswissenschaften"). The current (not bound) issues are not for loan. Please note the hint "Auslagefach" in the full title display in Heidi. It provides information where you can find the journal.
Here you’ll also find our newspaper collection (including national and international, daily and weekly newspapers).
You have access to the open shelf area of bound journals on the 2nd floor level Triplex (location marks ZSA ... B) and 4th floor level Triplex (location marks ZSA ... C). Generally you’ll find volumes from publication year 1962 on for loan. Contact the staff of the enquiry desk. A library card is required. The current 20 bound volumes of the library's German law journals are held at the 2nd floor of the Triplex-Building in the law area.
Ordering items in advance and using books which are not for loan
- You can order material in advance of your visit to the Library's Reading Rooms. We will keep the material for 5 days. If you do not use the items within this period we will return them to the closed stacks.
- If you do not hold a library card please use our online request form to order items from the University Library collection to the Reading Room
- Books published prior to 1880 and other rare library material or special collection items are not for loan. They will be delivered to the Reading Room for use. We will keep them for 5 days. If you do not use the items within this period we will return them to the closed stacks.
- Otherwise you can use the books for 4 weeks within the Reading Room (renewal is possible). Non-lending items sent by Interlibrary Loan can be consulted in the Reading Room until the end of the loan period.
- Books published before 1700 and other very rare items are provided for use in the department Special collections.
- Please note that self-copying is not allowed for all books. It is possible to order reproductions of parts.
- The reference collection is available for night or bank holidays loan only.