Usage hints A-Z: I
Alphabet of keywords:
- Image database of the University see heidICON - The image and multimedia database of Heidelberg University
- Heidelberg incunabula are listed in the incunabula catalogue of German Libraries (INKA) (only in German).
- Information, general and reference
- Information about the University Library of Heidelberg
- Information by e-mail
- Information Centres see also IZA/IZN
- Information literacy see training courses
- Information Services see enquiry and reference services
- Inscriptions in Greek letters in the foyer of the University
- Right and left of the entrance to the enquiry and reference service on the ground floor are mosaics with Greek inscriptions:
On the right: “For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives live.” (New International Version of the Holy Bible, 2. Corinthians, Verse 3,6)
On the left: „The source of wisdom flows through books.“ (is supposed to have been inscribed in the Library of Alexandria)
- Institute catalogues
- Holdings of the institute and seminar libraries from publishing year 1990 on are searchable in HEIDI. Older holdings are only partially listed. You have the possibility to either search the complete holdings (University library and all other libraries) or in the holdings of the different institutions.
- Institute libraries
- Inform yourself about opening hours and accessibility of the branch libraries in the Heidelberg library register (only in German). If you can’t find the information please contact the staff at the enquiry and reference services.
- Interlibrary loan
- Literature that is neither available in the University Library nor any other library in Heidelberg can be requested via interlibrary loan for a small fee; see also document delivery service
- Interlibrary loan fee
- For every interlibrary loan request in Germany a fee of 1.50 Euro to has to be paid. This fee will be charged to your library account and can be paid the next time you borrow an item.
Lecturers and staff of institutes of Heidelberg University pay the interlibrary loan fee of 1.50 Euro by TAN (transaction number). TANs are available in the lending services and the libraries of the institutes.
- International interlibrary loan
- International interlibrary loan – information for foreign libraries
- Internet access
- Students can apply for internet access through the University Computing Centre (URZ).
- Internet download
- of files on public workstations see printing and exporting
- Internet enquiries
- are possible on workstations in the enquiry and reference service in the main library, in the Multimedia Centre (MMZ) and in the reading room in the main library as well as in the enquiry and reference service in the Neuenheim Branch Library. You can use your own laptops in the “Jura” (Law) section of the reading room of the main library, in the Multimedia Centre (MMZ) and in the enquiry and reference service of the Neuenheim Branch Library.
- Internet workstations
- Internet workstations in the University Library are only for members of the University and only for scientific purposes. For private internet use please use the Internet cafés of the University and commercial internet cafés (ipublic library, DAI, etc.).
- Introductory tours
- Introductions to the library take place regularly in the main library in the city centre as well as in the Neuenheim branch library. Dates and registration formalities for the different events can be found here.
- The enquiry and reference services at the main library (IZA)
and Neuenheim Branch Library (IZN)
offer the following services: access to HEIDI, workstations for access to electronic materials (e-journals, databases, etc.) and for research on the internet, internet access through WLAN (for students and staff of the Heidelberg University), interlibrary loan consultation.
Only in the main library: Multimedia Centre (MMZ), AV-media, alphabetic catalogues, the systematic catalogue up to 1961 as book catalogue.
General information about the library and catalogue use as well as bibliographic and subject related information are offered in the main library in the Information Centre (IZA) (ground floor, phone: 54-2393), and in the Neuenheim Branch Library in the IZN (ground floor, phone: 54-4272).